It is with great pleasure that we would like to announce the selection of the awardees of the short-term fellowships of the Cluster of Excellence – Asia and Europe in a Global Context: Shifting Asymmetries in Cultural Flows (at Heidelberg University, Heidelberg, Germany), on the theme "Circulation of Popular Images and Media in Muslim Religious Spheres".
Out of the several excellent proposals that we received, the following six candidates have been selected for their respective themes.
1. Shirley Abraham/Amit Madheshiya (Mumbai) – “Devotional Visual Culture at the Shrine of Sailani Baba”
2. Yogesh Snehi (Amritsar) – “Replicating Memory, Creating Images: Pirs and Dargahs in Popular Art and Media of Contemporary East Punjab”
3. Abeer Gupta (Pune/Ladakh) – “The culture of Islam in the Western Himalayas”
4. Fiza Ishaq/Annapurna G. (Bangalore) – “Shia devotional art and material culture: Visual narratives of transculturation, social memory and community identity”
5. Noman Baig (Karachi) – “Mediating Belief and Senses: Dawat-e-Islami's Emerging Madina of Visuality”
The fellows will be working on their respective themes for the next six months and their research results would be published in the form of an edited volume.
More details about these fellows and their respective subjects would soon be available on our website.